Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear Scab V Frost kill.

Posted by beeman_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 21:34

I have lost a Flemish Beauty pear tree this winter, amongst other things.
It had Pear scab last year, quite bad, so I used Dormant spray and Lime Sulphur in the fall, planning a second spray this spring. Come the spring the tree is defunct, no buds or growth.
After the terrible winter I'm wondering if it was the scab or cold that killed it?
I plan to remove it and replace it with a 'Claps Favorite'. Is the soil in the hole suspect? Does scab infection come through the soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear Scab V Frost kill.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 22:31

Probably a combination of a weakened tree and a hard winter. If it lost leaves last summer then it has less ability to prepare for cold.

o

So where does scab come from? It it air or soil contamination?
I want to replace, but don't want to infect the new one!

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 9:44

A leaf infection will be from the air. There are things that could damage the tree that might be in the soil but not scab. Commercial growers worry about replant disease, meaning things in the soil like nematodes that slow the growth of new trees. Home growers usually can't tell the difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here