Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry bush

Posted by lmich9 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 21:36

I bought a thornless bush from lowes last year and planted it. It only got one berry. This year there is new growth on almost every branch. When will I get berries? Am I doing something wrong? It is in a sunny spot with plenty of water. I am in ma.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry bush

all buds that have broke new growth will produce flowers on ends then berries just to early berries are coming.

o

Blackberries fruit in their second year. You will get a good number of berries this year. And hopefully at the same time, you will get new shoots coming up from the ground that will then fruit in 2014. It's a continuing cycle of first year and second year wood on blackberry plants. And raspberries are the same way. For the most part.

o

Thanks both. I've been trying to Google this but some things seem to say only certain branches get new growth each year but it looks like all mine have it. Do I then cut back these branches in the fall or leave them?

o

If your last year's planting did not put up any new canes from the base of the original, but simply grew more branches on the original planted cane, leave those alone and see what happens this or next year, when new canes should definitely sprout up.

When new canes eventually sprout up and start making leaves, remove the entire original cane, branches and all.

Not all newly planted caneberries behave the same, you may need an extra year of patience on this bush. The original cane may never make any more berries, but as long as it is the only thing growing, save it to help the root growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here