Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving 5 week old grapevines?

Posted by eciton zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 21:40

so i planted 10 vines in an area inside my "orchard fence". i planned on trellising each of them individually based on a design i saw that had 2 T posts driven into the ground with another T post bolted across the top - then 3 or 4 wires were run between the 2 vert posts.

this way I could orient them all North/South and I had thought that was best.

now... i'm rethinking and perhaps I would be better off trellising them off my actual wire fence that is supported by 4x4 and 6x6's.

they have broken buds and are now have about 12'' of new growth. I can stick with my orig plan if I'm going to kill them by moving but if i can move them it will save me both $$ and space inside the fenced area

thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving 5 week old grapevines?

What was the condition of the vines when you planted them? Bare root? Potted? Cuttings? If they were bare root or potted, I think they will probably survive the move if you are able to be careful with the roots. If they were just cuttings, then the roots are very fragile and moving them will cause them more harm.

o

I wouldn't move them unless they were potted, and even then I'd think twice. I have killed too many things trying this. Blueberries are the only thing I have found easy to move when leafed out.

What I would do is plan the new layout and move them this fall as they go dormant.

Scott

o

9 out of 10 are flourishing right now...having made about 2' of new growth. i have since decided to not relocate the vines but to create 2 trellises that run approx NS and EW to hang all the vines. I figure im not a commercial outfit so a little difference in orientation isnt going to hurt anything.

question though, I replanted one vine a week after planting and amended my clay soil with compost and good garden dirt for that one vine.....it is the one that seems to be dying... ideas?

o

There isn't much you can do, its probably a goner. If it has leaves it sometimes can help to remove all the new growth and just keep the more mature leaves, it will not be sinking energy into growth. I had a graft partly fail this spring and I pruned off all the new shoots and it finally is recovering.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here