Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Grape Vines

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 21:45

I have a 2 year old seedless concord grape vine and don't know how many buds to leave on it.

I pruned it in very early spring before the buds broke, and now it has a ton of new growth starting and I don't know how much to leave.

I've heard you need to base it off of the weight of the vine you pruned (30 buds for first pound, and 10 for every additional pound), but I only pruned a small amount as I got the plant late last summer and it was small.

There was one grape bunch last year and I am hoping to get more this year, but obviously, I shouldn't leave every single bud on the vine. How many buds should I leave on it?

It's in a huge pot with a tall trellis in it and the main vine is approx. 5 feet tall with a few smaller vines coming off of it. All of these are covered in what I think are buds and new green leafy growth.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Grape Vines

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 22:23

It's not how many canes you leave that's most important, but rather how many clusters of fruit. The more foliage you leave the more fruit it can support. So leave as many canes as seems appropriate. But thin off some of the clusters if there are more than about 10. I first thin off the smaller of the two clusters that are often on each cane. Then thin more off if that seems appropriate.

o

Thanks Fruitnut,

So, should I be able to see the fruit clusters yet? Will the fruit be on the new growth from this year, or on the one year old growth from last year?

Thanks

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 22:44

You can see the clusters after the new shoot grows 6-8 inches. The cluster or often two clusters will be at about the 4-5 th leaf axil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here