Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elty123

Planting my first Apple Tree / Blueberry, please help!

elty
9 years ago

1) My current soil is kind of clay and look rather bad. Should I dig a hole then put some new top soil in, or reuse the existing soil but mix it with some "organic thing" to make it better?
2) If I should mix with "organic thing", exactly what are those called? I asked the guy in home depot and they have no clue.
3) My wife half broke one of the branch on the apple tree. I just use some regular tape to tape it together - is that sufficient?
4) Should I put those "plastic tube" thing on the lower trunk? What are those for anyways?

5) I am planning to put a Blueberry in a container, because I don't want to put in acid soil with other stuff. How large should the container be?
6) Is there any thing particular that I need to pay attention to for a blueberry in a pot?
7) How do you care it in winter?

I am in Toronto, Canada, which is zone 5b/6a

This post was edited by elty on Tue, May 6, 14 at 21:52

Comments (11)

• pharmachad
    9 years ago

My best advice for blueberries would be to read
    all of Bamboo_Rabbits post of this site. Fruitnut
    also has container advice as well as several others.
    Notice the names on the post and read all their
    advice too. Good Luck!

• curtis
    9 years ago

Just plant it in your soil, what you can add to the hole won't make much difference. The down side to adding compost to clay soil is you can cause it to easily take in run off water and stay too wet and kill the tree. the tape may save the branch, but probably not. If it is broken out on the branch a ways just cut it off there it will start new growth from a bud and continue that branch. Furthermore it may be better to cut all branches back a ways due to the stress on the roots caused by transplanting.

Blue berries: Find the section of this forum on container gardening. Also look on youtube for "air pruning"

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

The container for the Blueberry can be as big as your heart desires.Why not get two different ones for cross pollination?More and better fruit.
    It also might be best to make your 'soil' for the pot.I use 60-70% conifer bark mulch(Pine and or Fir) and 30-40% Peat moss.It works very well.
    Also,the irrigation water should be somewhat acidic,below 6 pH,4-5 is ideal.
    Containers can be brought inside an unheated building in the Winter or buried to the top of the pots in the ground and maybe covered with leaves or other material.Some of the Northern Highbush are very cold hardy and can take sub zero temps with not much problem.
    I don't grow Apples. Brady

• charina
    9 years ago

A common mistake is to try to fill a hole for a tree with non-native soil. As pointed out above, this can create a "bowl" where water will collect and drown the roots. It can also cause a problem with the tree not wanting to send roots out into the native soil. Dig the hole wider than deep, mix in a bit of amendments, but primarily use the native soil to fill back in.

Re blueberries in pots, I would highly suggest reading another long thread on pot mixes. Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XIX As I've played around this spring with various mixes in setting up blueberries in pots, the principles in that thread have been very useful in creating a mix that keeps the roots moist, but doesn't drown the roots. As Bradybb suggested, I've settled on a mix that is primarily composted pine bark fines of an appropriate size mix to provide an appropriate balance between moisture retention and adequate drainage. Adjust the amount of peat moss to adjust moisture retention. The bark and peat mix will start you off with the right pH for a healthy plant.

• charina
    9 years ago

6) Is there any thing particular that I need to pay attention to for a blueberry in a pot?
    Even though you won't have to deal with acififying large amounts of soil by choosing a pot, and it is easier to choose container media with the right pH, you will need to think ahead long term on how to manage the pH in your pot. Two strategies are common, neither mutually exclusive - 1) add acidification agents to the mix, or 2) acidify the water used to irrigate with.

Don't fertilize with fertilizers that contain primarily a nitrate form of nitrogen. They prefer ammonia forms of nitrogen.

Don't let them dry out.

• elty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, would "pot in the ground" work - so the pot is 80% buried in the ground, which separate the berry soil with the rest of the garden, while removing the need to move the plant indoor in winter.

• elty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the action plan for the tree is:

0) Pick a nice sunny day when the soil is dry
    1) Dig a hole that is twice as wide as the apple tree root ball.
    2) Mix 2/3 original soil, with 1/3 triple mix.
    3) Put the tree in the hole.
    4) Fill in the hole with #2
    5) Put those plastic tube thing on the trunk
    6) Cut branches that is too low/at a undesired location
    7) Stake the tree
    8) Water it
    9) Put mulch on top

1. Pray :)
    2. Water it every day
    3. Keep praying :D

Please let me know if there is any flaw to this plan.

This post was edited by elty on Wed, May 7, 14 at 13:33

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Leaving the pot in the ground should work for awhile.Eventually the roots will most likely grow through the drain holes into the ground soil.This will make the task of repotting to a bigger container later more difficult. Brady

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Don't water everyday. Just water deeply once a week. If there is rain, skip that week. Most trees don't like being very wet.

A white plastic tube is usually called a tree guard. It helps if you have animals such as rabbits munching on bark on your young tree. It can protect a tree from sun scald (if your area is prone to it).

Praying does not really work but going out and checking on your tree often does. Believe me many of us check our trees so often, our neighbors must think we are nuts.

• pharmachad
    9 years ago

The amount you water depends on the temperature
    and time of year. I seldom have to water my potted
    Blueberries in the winter because they are dormant
    And I get rain at least once a week. The summer is
    a different story. If I wait a week to water in the summer
    all my plants would be dead. When temps get above 80
    I typically water every other day. If it gets to 90, I'm watering
    daily. No trouble with root rot so far. You may be able
    To water once a week for in-ground plants that are mulched
    heavily. I know that is what Bamboo_Rabbit does.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

I forgot to say that my suggestion applies only to your apple tree, not potted blueberries. PharmaChad is right that watering depends on the temp, time of the year and your climate. I just gave you a general rule of thumb of watering new fruit trees in ground.

I do not have experience with blueberries in pots at all. The good news is that there are many people here who are knowledgeable.