Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Espalier Fruit Trees

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 21:50

Hi,

I went way overboard (as usual) and bought a bunch of fruit trees this year.

3 types of peaches, 1 plum, 1 2-in-1 pear, 1 4-in-1 apple, 2 nectarine, 2 pawpaw, 1 brown turkey fig, 1 illinois everbearing mullberry.

Does anyone have any experience with training these into espalier form? I know apples and pears are common and can find info elsewhere, so I am mainly concerned with the less common espalier varieties, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Espalier Fruit Trees

Your question is a little too general. There is just too much information for this format (GW) to handle efficiently.

There are great videos on youtube. There is alot of info on the net. Just google or bing "fruit espalier" "fruit trellis" and you will find all the info you need.

Once you have the general idea of what can be done, your more specific questions can be dealt with here.

Mike

o

I have decided to do my trees in espalier form. With peaches it makes sense as they bear on one-year-old wood. I'm in the process of planning this. The only ones I'm not planning on espaliering are the pawpaws. I decided to go ahead and treat them as if they were grapes.

o

Milehighgirl,

How are your pawpaws coming? Did you follow through on treating them as grapes, and if so, what exactly did you do?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here