Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emorems0

Various raspberry varieties & pruning

emorems0
9 years ago

I had posted earlier about the bare-root raspberries I planted earlier this Spring... one of them finally leafed out (I assume the one that came with the better root system), the other is a dud. I called the nursery for a replacement, but they were out of stock in that variety (Heritage), so I replaced it with a different variety... 2 actually, since the other varieties were cheaper and on-sale.

Now I have 1 Heritage and will be adding 1 Canby and 1 Red Latham. Cross-pollination isn't an issue with raspberry varieties, right? What about pruning? I know some raspberries produce on new canes (so you can just trim the whole thing down at the end of the season) and some produce on older 1-year canes (so you just trim out the old 1-year canes at the end of the season, but leave the new canes for next year), but it's not really clear from the descriptions which type each of these varieties is.

Heritage raspberries produce on first year canes so I can just mow them down in the fall... one of the reasons I first chose that variety.

Anyone know about Canby or Red Latham?

Comments (4)