Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
F-Bomb....hard frost and its the end of May!

Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 21:54

It appears that global warming seems to have missed us again this year. Last year was quite cool but this year we are ONE MONTH behind!!! Normally our sweet cherries are in bloom mid to 3rd week of April, and started blooming last weekend .This year most of the fruit buds are pushing no flowers due to the cold temps and long duration we had in the winter(wow it was cold )save a couple but are blooming now along with the sour cherries ,Asian plums and also the euro plums all at the same time??????
So we were quite lucky even though it has been very cold it seemed to be quite linear slowly warming up and nights were just a the cusp of frost for the past two weeks but never getting any until last night! The weather channel called for -1C (30F) so I ran around the property covering everything I could with buckets, flower pots, blankets whatever!
Some things could not physically be covered like the bigger vines so remembering what another poster did a few years ago to save his kiwis placed a sprinkler on them .
By 10:00 I could see my breath it got cold really effen fast! so on the sprinkler went:) I ended going down to -2C(28F) for a few hours. The kiwis and grapes growing on my deck were covered in ice(see photo) and I was a little disappointed thinking that all that sprinklering was for nothing, but to my surprise after the ice melted the tender shoots came out totally unscathed! I couldn't believe it !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: F-Bomb....hard frost and its the end of May!

Glenn,

Glad to hear the vines did OK. Sprinkler does work, that what they use to protect citrus in Florida from a cold spell.

Tony

o

It's actually the ice that saved them. When water freezes, it gives off heat.
I know you don't want to hear it but late May frost is almost routine here in Saskatchewan. This is one of those rare years where we got summer-ish weather already and it's you guys' time to suffer a bit. Your growing season is usually much longer than ours, and if you're inland, warmer than ours as well.

o

Glenn,

I am so sorry for your awful weather. (From one who can truly sympathize). I sure hope you can get through it okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here