Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grapes and strawberries

Posted by Sweetybyrd 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 21:55

I purchased two grape plants (one green & one red/purple) at a local grocery store three years ago. Currently they are in a huge pot because I have been waiting to see if they will amount to anything. So far they grow bigger every year and this year I see tiny little cluster of what I am assuming will be grapes. Can anyone give me any direction on how to help these guys amount to much more?
Also I purchased strawberries two years ago from cottage farms. Well lets just say I have tons of the plants to go round but none produce strawberries. These are pink flowering. And a strawberry plant I purchased at a local grocery store (white flowering)is lacking in flavor, no sweet smell or taste to them. Again these are growing like wild and these actually produce a bit of strawberries but I am looking for a good variety. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looking for something red through and through, with a sweet strawberry flavor and a little strawberry scent wouldn't hurt. Though the scent probably has nothing to do with anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grapes and strawberries

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 12:56

Assuming it's not too late, put the grapes in the ground. Grapes have huge root systems.

o
RE: grapes and strawberries

A 3 year old grape vine will produce grapes, even in a container, and if you must keep them contained, increase the size of the container next time they go dormant.

I have several in ground and more contained. They grow like crazy, but the ones in the ground do best! I have one that is 4 years old, in ground, and for fun this year I let it climb that palm tree that it has wanted to clime every year. It's almost past the trunk and into the palm fronds!

The grapes only fruit on new shoots, so it's important to leave part of this years canes for next years fruit. The longer you let the canes grow, the more leaves you get, and the better the root system can support the clusters. Pruning is important because by cutting the canes back, the vine uses it's stored energy to produce fruit to insure it's kind will be on this earth for coming years.

Not sure about your strawberries.
Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here