Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chester vs. Triple Crown Blackberry

Posted by drewbym 6B (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 21:58

So, I have both Chester and Triple Crown Blackberry plants planted. I planted them last Spring so this is the first year I'll get fruit. They have grown very nicely and quickly filled up the trellis.

I've read that Triple Crown ripens first by a couple of weeks. However, my Chester has been in bloom for about 4-5 days now while the Triple crown is just starting to show signs of the flower buds developing. Logic would suggest that the Chester would fruit first then.

Am I wrong? Those who have both, does the Chester blossom first but fruit second?

Thank you.

PS. Every variety I have has blossomed before the Triple Crown except the Doyle. (Ouchita, Apache, Arapaho, Navaho, Black Satin, Boysenberry, Loganberry, wild dewberries, etc).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chester vs. Triple Crown Blackberry

I LOVE THe Chester. They survived up here in NW ontario with no die back. Last year (second year), they produced 12 foot canes and took over the entire 12x 8 area. The thing out competed yarrow!

I cant give any comparison about flower time up here, but I can say the Chester started to flower in june all the way to the end of july. I never topped the canes, so there werent too many laterals to fruit on.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 23:27

Time of bloom, regarding different varieties, has nothing to do with harvest dates. I used to grow Arapaho which bloomed later and ripened earlier than my other blackberries.

Same thing with peaches. Some peaches bloom early (like Autumnstar) but are the latest to ripen.

o

Chester will definitely fruit a bit later than your TC. Same thing going on up here in my 6a. Chesters are getting ready to bloom where as my TC are just now starting to get in full swing. The TC's are always the slowest to get going in the spring out of all my varietes. They are right next to my Prime-ark variety and those are in full swing with pink flowers breaking open.

o

Thanks for the info, folks.

I gathered four new facts:

1) Chester is really hardy
2) Bloom time doesn't necessarily determine ripening time
3) Chester does bloom before TC
4) TC does fruit before Chester

o

Thank you twrosz for the information.........rcj123

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here