Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Nectarines

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 22:00

What would be causing my nectarines to remain hard and not grow more than a ping pong ball. The tree is about 8 years old and aside from its first year it had not set any fruit. I was very excited this year to have about 30 nectarines, but they don't appear to be growing further. They are smooth skinned, green and hard. Any ideas from the experts?

This is the tree before the leaves fully filled in and blossoms set.

Nectarine Tree. Unknown variety

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Nectarines

az:

Nectarines, like most stone fruit, go through a stage where they seem to just set there and do nothing. This is called pit hardening. The seed is developing but not the flesh. Then after a while the flesh starts to expand so the fruit gets larger and starts to change color. The fruit is ripe when the flesh begins to soften. That can occur as late as September for some of mine.

So be patient, you may have a late ripening variety.

o
RE: Hard Nectarines

Thanks for your response, Fruitnut. My main concern is that they will fry in our upcoming HOT weather. In our area, most peaches and apricots have already ripened and are almost completely gone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here