Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Birds out of Cherry Trees

Posted by jimmy56 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 22:05

What does everybody use to keep those darn birds from stealing cherrys from your trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Birds out of Cherry Trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 22:32

Netting is the only really effective solution.

o

We net individual branches with sleeves of netting on a small tree--better than doing nothing.

o

Has anyone tried using tin foil strips?

o

Has anybody ever heard of or tried Bird Scare Flash Tape? Here's an article, http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-09/realestate/re-806_1_bird-scare-tape

o

I think I'm with Fruitnut on this one. I've however never netted, but I've tried a lot of other things, including tin foil, and they just get used to it (at least these country birds do...)

But because I do live out, I can blast music from dawn to dusk and that has been fairly effective for me. (That gets old even for me over the course of a cherry harvest...)

I've been tempted to try one of the owls with a moving head, or something that is motion sensitive. But the ol plastic owl that you fill with rocks is a huge waste of $8. That has an impact for maybe a day and then they're onto it.

o

I only have 5 Cherry trees, but have found netting to be the only solution. I've tried fake owls, bird flash tape, motion sensor scarecrows, but all have failed.

Netting works well, but you must keep the netting suspended from the tree, otherwise the birds will peck through to what they can reach.

A word of caution - plastic bird netting is horrible stuff.. it gets caught on everything. My wife calls it the annual swearing at the netting season.

Good luck

o

Just returned from Home Depot and purchased two rolls of white netting that is not transparent. It is a little matte but will definitely keep the birds off of my cherries and plums. Each roll is forty by fifteen feet wide and will easily cover four or five trees. It is a knitted white mesh that will not easily tangle, like nasty 'bird X'. The latter is horrible netting. The name of what I am using is called 'Anti-bird knitted netting'. Mrs. G

o

MrsG47, I was checking Home Depot web site and I can't seem to find that, Would that happen to be an in store only product.

o

Jimmy, you can find it on ebay too. It is half the price at HD than it is on ebay. It is call Commerical Knitted Anti-Bird Netting. Thats all I can tell you. Works like a charm! Mrs. G

o

Get one of these.

o

Found the netting on Ebay but it was AU and UK websites,Guess I will have to go with the BirdX stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here