Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GardenWeb Favorite Apples - Lets start a list

Posted by megamav 5a - NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 22:06

Lets start a list of dependable apples, favorites of either yourself or your customers.

I'll put together a spreadsheet and update it as we go, I'll host it on my blog here: Apple References Page

Limit is 2 votes/entries per member.
Its recommended that you vote for your customer's favorite, if applicable, and your favorite if its different.

Please use this template to fill out the information:

Scion Name:
Scion Growing Zone: Where you had/grow the apple, USDA Zone 5a, 6b, 7 etc.
Harvest Date: i.e. Early/Mid/Late September/October etc.
Flavor: (Sweet, Aromatic, Acid, Subacid, Tart)
Utility: (Cook, Eat, Cider)
Keeper: (Cold store, keeps past December?) Yes/No
Customer Favorite: Yes/No
Additional Notes:

-Eric
------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GardenWeb Favorite Apples - Lets start a list

The thread below focused much on flavor but was along the same lines of what you were proposing. -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Best of the Best tasting apple varieties

o

Hi Glenn,

Not arguing with the results of that thread at all, I think we could put something together here that could help backyard and orchard growers make better decisions about apple varieties based on a few more required criteria. Especially with an indicated USDA zone.

Apple varieties have the tendency to grow best under certain conditions. I think you'll see the cream rise to the top again, just with more information.

I know you came up with the point system, but that may be unfair to certain varieties since its such a small sample of people's opinions.

Aim here is, simply, this is what grows best where I am, and is a favorite of others with a reliability factor involved.

o

The zone is critical.
I was testing apple varieties imported into West Australia.

All the names of the most famous apples were being tested.

Our climate just destroyed any cold climate apples.
I had to travel to get a good appreciation of cold climate apples.

I still never found anything as good as a good Sundowner.
You could grow Sundowner a fair way south in California I imagine, use Granny Smith as a pollinator, load the Sundowner up with crop, stress it a bit with a big crop.
Crikey I miss my orchard!!

o

Glenns link is excellent!

o

Other important characteristics to hear about would be pest and disease resistance/susceptibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: my mini orchard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here