Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyf21

Will my soil be ok?

Jimmy Forester
9 years ago

I just planted 7 new fruit trees. The first couple i planted, i just followed the advice of the nursery. I dug a shallow, wide hole and planted the trees so the new dirt line was an inch or two above the rest of ground. This way it made an ever so slight mound where the tree was. After reading about online about poor draining soil, i started planting them a little higher, so there was a pretty decent mount where the trees are. Now im paranoid and i feel like i should go back and dig up the first trees i planted that are almost level with the ground.

I did a mason jar soil test and my soil is about 50% clay, 25% sand, and 25% silt. I did a drainage test and the soil drains ok. I dug a 1 foot hole and filled it. It took about 45 minutes the first time, i filled it again and it took about an hour.

What im worried about, is my property is extremely flat and there is nowhere for rain water to go. After significant rains during the winter, after constant hard rains for several days at a time, the ground becomes saturated and i start to get standing water on the ground. Once it quits raining, the water drains in to the ground. So will my roots rot, or am i just being paranoid? The though has crossed my mind to go dig up the first trees and raisin them up. I have an old apple tree and an old peach tree and they both seem to be doing just fine.

Comment (1)