Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drip irrigation question

Posted by scaper_austin 8a (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 22:16

OK I am growing several stone fruit trees in containers on drip irrigation. Twice now in the last two weeks I have noticed that my drip spikes have been acting like they are clogged or something and have only been dribbling out water when normally they are putting out a good spray. I cant explain why this is happening. I am using 1/2 inch black line then using 1/4inch micro tubing and a drip spike that spins out water 360 degrees and is adjustable and my system runs of a water spigot with a psi regulator run with a timer. When I noticed the problem both times I fiddled with the spikes and opened it up more and then it started working correctly. The problem is when the system is running I am not always here and Im afraid of disaster and I really dont want to have to adjust the spikes every day. This same setup worked perfectly all last year with no issue so I was surprised with two glitches in the last week or so. Anyone know what may cause this? Anyone know of anything to try and correct the problem? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scape

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drip irrigation question

You could have mineral deposits or debris clogging up the dripper.

I got rid of drippers for a lot of my plants and went to porous tubing instead. Just make sure no length is greater than 15ft (not a problem in pots) and partially bury/cover the tubing. Works great for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porous Tubing

o

Obviously it appears you are getting some thing clogging the outlet. do you know the size of that aperture. a filter wohld remove rhe sediment, debris, whatever that is plugging the outlet.

o

Bowsmith Emitter 2gph these want stop up I been using 1987 none every stop up out of about 20,000 Emitters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bowsmith Emitter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here