Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_miller7704

Is my peach tree dying

Lorraine Miller
9 years ago

Brought 1-2 year old peach tree couple weeks ago. All branches had blossoms, changed pot, leaves and branches died, , broke off easily
Have new leaves growing from bottom of tree. A branch has grown out, just above the dirt. Leaves are on this branch is growing nicely. I don't want the tree unless it produces fruit. How can I tell if the new leaves are growing to eventually produce fruit, or if the tree will die because of where the hew leaves are growing. Should I cut down the branch to where the new leaves are growing. Please help. I don't want a tree that doesn't produce fruit, how can I tell if thus one will

Comments (5)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

It's probably the root stock that is growing and the graft failed.If that happened,there may be fruit,but usually aren't good flavor.Brady

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Find the graft union. Should be easy on that tree. If any shoot arises from above the union, cut the others off and you'll have a tree of the original variety.

• Jimmy Forester
    9 years ago

ditto. The graft died and the rootstock is putting out shoots. It will make peaches but they won't be super high quality.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Iam new at trying to grow a peach tree, please explain a couple of things
    1. How do I fine the graft union. What does it look, is it above the dirt
    2.what does a root stock look like is it above the dirt or below
    3 if any shoots rises above the union cut what off? and leave what? I do want quality peaches. How can I tell if a shoot has rised above the union

Sorry this is the beginning for me

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Yes,the graft union should be above the top of the soil,unless it was buried,but that's not usual.
    Any part below the graft is the root stock.
    Leave all the growth above the graft for now.
    Yes,the first thing to do is find the graft.It will be rare not to have one,which will mean that it grew from a seed.
    Here is a picture of a small Plum tree.The graft is fairly obvious.It's where the trunk doglegs at an angle to the right. Brady