Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants in Blueberry pants

Posted by bshef pacific (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 22:20

I've got one bush that seems to be the home to an ant colony.
The plant is young (3 years or so)....it's flowering and producing little fruit however, along with the ants I'm seeing little tiny clumps of little specs almost like miniature rice all over the flower buds and on some of the leaves.
Not sure if I need to take any action or just leave the ants alone.

here's a picture I snapped

Photobucket”>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants in Blueberry pants

I noticed the same thing on my plants the other day but they don't look quite as bad this picture of yours. If you look at the flower on the right side of this picture you can actually see the culprits! I'm not sure how best to control them, something as simple as soapy water might do the trick though. I don't want to spray any insecticides on my plants while the berries are developing.

Chandler berries, Blueberries on a second year Chandler

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 23:42

Bshef,

You have aphids attacking your plants. Most of the time ladybugs or other natural predators get them, but you might want to go ahead and spray those plants.

Ants are not always bad, but in this case they are probably farming the aphids as well as protecting them from predators.

Aphids are easy to kill and most insecticides will do it (read the label to be sure).

o

APHIDS! I HATE APHIDS!

Ive watched ants farm them. Not nice either! The ants bully the poor little fat aphids into submission! And watching ladybugs eat them..oh man its like a horror movie! I love watching aphids die. My neighbors never do a thing about all their fruit trees so one side of my yard has aphids like crazy! My fingers are stained a greenish orange from all the aphid squishing I do.

o

• Posted by bshef pacific (My Page) on
    Sat, May 26, 12 at 0:24

alrighty then.
Afids...prepare to die!

Thanks

o

Spray them with soapy water........it kills them immediately and you don't need to use the insecticides. Just a few drops of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle with water will do the trick.

o

I'm sorry but I have to show appreciation of the typo.... You have specific pants for different fruit on your side of the pond? ;-)

o

• Posted by bshef pacific (My Page) on
    Sat, May 26, 12 at 21:33

lol....No typo...!
That was completely intentional..Hope you got a laugh.

Cheers and Thanks everyone for the replies!

o

The laugh is even bigger here - remember 'pants' doesn't mean trousers to me ...

o

I seem to have some aphids on the top growth of my plants every spring. I have found if you use a spray nozzle on a hose and blast the pesky aphids off with just plain water it works really well. Of course this won't work if you have acres of plants but I can easily work through all 20 of my blueberry plants in less than 30 minutes. Keep checking the plants and blast them as needed.

RM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here