Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First real harvest of Blueberries

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 22:22

I've been getting one of those bowls every week since April but this week that all changed. I guess having more blueberries than you know what to do with is a good thing?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First real harvest of Blueberries

Looks great. How many berry bushes is this harvest from, and how old are they?

o

The long tub is close to 1/4 of the berries on a 4 year old. The rest are off of 8 one year old plants that were tiny last spring. Still a lot of fruit to pick but my back was getting tired!

o

Good harvest:) It gets easier when the bushes get taller. My harvest is just about done but the Windsors have decided to rebloom.

o

We take that many berries and wash in running tap water lay out towels on dining table spread berries on towel about one hour they dry. Put in bags leave bag open at top set into freeze until freeze solid then close bag large thick paper bag. The berries dry want stick together in freezer.so dip out what want and wash again in tap water before cooking.
Blackberries same no washing before freezing just afterwards.

o

Nice looking berries.

o

Fantastic! That's a good problem to have Blue. I don't have to tell you how much $$$ they cost in the grocery store. Plus you know where they came from and who picked 'em. Can't wait for Climax crop, should be any day now

o

That's great, you won't have trouble consuming those. I think I could easily consume more than 100 pounds each year.

RM

o

Thanks for the replies guys!

Bam, do you wait untill the rebloom harvest is over before your summer prune? Im thinking that waiting untill the second flower fruit is picked would put us behind the 8 ball? Ya or nay? Last season my second bloom on Emerald was about 80 ruined by thrips so I just prunned them out once the main crop was done. I did get exceptional growth afterwards. Im thinking the second fruit wont be mature to pick untill late June/mid July?

o

Blueboy,

Because the berries were so early this year I have a lull. Normally I prune as soon as the harvest is over but that just encourages the plants to bloom early the following year so I will wait to prune till June 1. You are right that the new berries won't be ready till after that point so they get pruned off.

o

Wow! That is a great harvest! Is there a good thread or link here on how to prune blueberries?

o

Treehugger,

I'm sure there is but bear in mind the pruning Blueboy and I are talking about you can't do. The summer pruning only works for us southern growers. You folks in the frozen north just don't have a long enough growing season and if you pruned after harvest you would not get any berries the next year.

o

Nice blueberries. The late freeze got all the berries on my neighbors bushes I was planning on robbing until mine get big enough next year. He said he doesn't have a single berry this year. He said the commercial orchards up there said it will be their worst year ever because the strange weather this year. Only half my peaches trees have any fruit all my other trees which were loaded got caught in the late freeze.

o

Beautiful berries blueboy

o

Thanks RM;) They taste as good as they look! Expecially the ones in the Cool Whip bowl. Those are Sweetcrisp. For mothers day I made my wife some garden fresh chocolate covered Strawberries and Sweetcrisp Blueberries. She said the chocolate covered blueberries were to die for and they were all gone before the strawberries got touched!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here