Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do i fix the ph level of my soil

Posted by rosvan92 central louisiana (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 22:22

I have clay soil in my yard and I had a soil test done on it by my local agriculture center. I am going to lists my readings and hope that someone can PLEASE tell me what to do to get the level right in order to grow blackberry plants. I've read that the level should be between 5.6 and 6.2. Is that correct? Here are the results of the tests-- pH-7.30,phosphorus-39.79, Potassum-544.15, Calcium-5528.30. Magnesium-906.92,Sodium- 111.32, Sulfur-6.63, Copper-3.63, Zinc-4.34. I am planting 3 plants 2 ft apart on a raised bed of about 5 to 6 inches. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do i fix the ph level of my soil

I think you would get a better answer in the "soil" forum but for starters add organic matter (mulch) and if you wanted Espoma makes an organic product to lower Ph using sulfur...

http://homeharvest.com/homeharvest2000pics/EspomaSoilAcidifier2012200.jpg

o

We grow blackberries here at pH about like yours without issues. It won't hurt to add sulfur but your soil test doesn't tell you whether you can lower pH to any extent or how much sulfur to apply. You might not need to lower pH.

What you need to know, relative to lowering pH, is how much free carbonates there are in your soil. This takes a further soil test. At pH 7.3 your soil might not have any free carbonates or it could have quit a lot. If there are free carbonates lowering pH to 6 will be difficult at best.

o

Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate it.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 12:11

The quick and dirty way to find out about free carbonates is to take a lump of soil, pulverize it (after drying probably, this being clay), and put it in a bowl. Pour vinegar to cover. If it bubbles, there are free carbonates and it is best to grow something other than blueberry. If it does not bubble, you can be reasonably confident that a bit of elemental sulphur (roughly 1/4 pound for a 10X4 area) will do the trick over time. In the intervening time, you could consider doing a foliar spray with iron.

o

I think blackberries would be fine without changing the soil. They might prefer it a little lower, but they're invasive in lots of the country, so I don't think they're too picky.

Glib, very interesting test for carbonates, it makes me want to go try that now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here