Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scott- when does your Minaj Smyriou ripen?

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 22:25

i planted one last year based on your recommendation and it has proved incredibly productive- porbably have about 2-300 berries and it has only been in the ground about 1 year.

what date does your ripen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scott- when does your Minaj Smyriou ripen?

Sorry, I can't remember. My original plant died and its been a couple years since I got any fruit. It was not too far off other black currants. Don't ask me when they ripened because I can't remember that, either - late June or thereabouts.

This spring I put in 6 new bushes of that variety. It is now the only black I have growing; I did have an Otelo which did not make it through the winter. My old currants spot was not good, so I have a new spot starting this year.

Scott

o

Mine ripened with the black raspberries, which is mid-June here. I combined them with the raspberries, and made some fantastic jelly. This year, it only has two small shoots alive, and about 97% of the plant is dead. Several of my normally very hardy plants were injured or killed this past winter, probably due to the drought stress from last summer.

o

kiwi- do you have the Minaj Smyriou variety? if yes, how did it taste eaten fresh?

dont want to rub it in but my blackcurrant which i planted last may has exploded in growth. will post a pic tomorrow.

o

Yes, I have the Minaj Smyriou variety. Fresh taste is claimed to be better than some of the stronger flavored varieties of black currant, but I have not tried others for comparison. I would not want to eat very many of them fresh, but it was not so bad you would spit them out either. Cooking seems to drive off or destroy the "cat pee" character, producing a very good flavored syrup.

o

typical- the one fruit plant i have that is absolutely thriving is rated "not spit-out bad". i love blackcurrant juice- oh well i can try and make some juice i guess.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 08 at 15:46

I think that's the variety I added this year. My black currants seem to be aphid magnets. The gooseberry hybrids next to them are virtually untouched.

o

LL, I can assure you they are better than all the other varieties I grew in terms of fresh eating. Its a mild cat pee vs a strong cat pee :-)

Scott

o

did you enjoy eating them out of hand (in quantities greater than 1 or 2!)

o

I like them a lot, in fact they are one of my favorite fruits. Thats one reason why I planted six bushes this spring! I think there is a large variation from individual to individual on how much of the cat piss type flavors people will tolerate. My impression is this variety also has less of that than most black currants.

Scott

o

i will definitly post my impressions once they ripen

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 24, 11 at 13:59

I like the flavor. Mine has fruited regularly. I just moved it to the new house and I'm wondering if it prefers full sun, part sun, or mostly shade.

Other currants get burned here in full sun in the summer, so I put them in part to mostly shade.

The American one from the Great Plains that's hollow seems to be fine in full sun, so I leave that one there.
John S
PDX OR

o

Scott I'm bumping this thread to see how your currants are doing in their new spot since '08. Is Minaj Smyriou still your favorite black currant? I'm wanting currants and gooseberries in zone 7b. I have plenty of choices in terms of locations on my property and daylight hours available. I have seen many recommendations for shade but have also read they will ripen better in full sun. I have some consort cuttings someone sent me. I'll try those as well.
Thanks, Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here