Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

scott- when does your Minaj Smyriou ripen?

lycheeluva
15 years ago

i planted one last year based on your recommendation and it has proved incredibly productive- porbably have about 2-300 berries and it has only been in the ground about 1 year.

what date does your ripen?

Comments (12)

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Sorry, I can't remember. My original plant died and its been a couple years since I got any fruit. It was not too far off other black currants. Don't ask me when they ripened because I can't remember that, either - late June or thereabouts.

This spring I put in 6 new bushes of that variety. It is now the only black I have growing; I did have an Otelo which did not make it through the winter. My old currants spot was not good, so I have a new spot starting this year.

Scott

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

Mine ripened with the black raspberries, which is mid-June here. I combined them with the raspberries, and made some fantastic jelly. This year, it only has two small shoots alive, and about 97% of the plant is dead. Several of my normally very hardy plants were injured or killed this past winter, probably due to the drought stress from last summer.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kiwi- do you have the Minaj Smyriou variety? if yes, how did it taste eaten fresh?

dont want to rub it in but my blackcurrant which i planted last may has exploded in growth. will post a pic tomorrow.

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

Yes, I have the Minaj Smyriou variety. Fresh taste is claimed to be better than some of the stronger flavored varieties of black currant, but I have not tried others for comparison. I would not want to eat very many of them fresh, but it was not so bad you would spit them out either. Cooking seems to drive off or destroy the "cat pee" character, producing a very good flavored syrup.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

typical- the one fruit plant i have that is absolutely thriving is rated "not spit-out bad". i love blackcurrant juice- oh well i can try and make some juice i guess.

• murkwell
    15 years ago

I think that's the variety I added this year. My black currants seem to be aphid magnets. The gooseberry hybrids next to them are virtually untouched.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

LL, I can assure you they are better than all the other varieties I grew in terms of fresh eating. Its a mild cat pee vs a strong cat pee :-)

Scott

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

did you enjoy eating them out of hand (in quantities greater than 1 or 2!)

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

I like them a lot, in fact they are one of my favorite fruits. Thats one reason why I planted six bushes this spring! I think there is a large variation from individual to individual on how much of the cat piss type flavors people will tolerate. My impression is this variety also has less of that than most black currants.

Scott

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i will definitly post my impressions once they ripen

• skyjs
    12 years ago

I like the flavor. Mine has fruited regularly. I just moved it to the new house and I'm wondering if it prefers full sun, part sun, or mostly shade.

Other currants get burned here in full sun in the summer, so I put them in part to mostly shade.

The American one from the Great Plains that's hollow seems to be fine in full sun, so I leave that one there.
    John S
    PDX OR

• heymikeyGA
    12 years ago

Scott I'm bumping this thread to see how your currants are doing in their new spot since '08. Is Minaj Smyriou still your favorite black currant? I'm wanting currants and gooseberries in zone 7b. I have plenty of choices in terms of locations on my property and daylight hours available. I have seen many recommendations for shade but have also read they will ripen better in full sun. I have some consort cuttings someone sent me. I'll try those as well.
    Thanks, Michael