Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

northern arrow treasured columnar apple questions

canadianplant
9 years ago

just wondering if anyone here is familiar with this apple. I can't find anything at all about this apple besides what the seller says. its an interesting apple

Comments (10)

• glen3a
    9 years ago

Sorry, I probably can't offer much more information either, other than I bought one this spring and I couldn't find much information on it either. It's said to grow tall, narrow, 15 feet tall by 4 feet wide, so we'll see. It was developed at the University of Saskatchewan and is a later maturing apple.(Sept). My plant arrived healthy but is only a 18 inch tall grafted plant. It's just starting to leaf out at current.

• sushaus
    8 years ago

I purchased this apple last year from T&T Seeds ( as part of my work; to see how it would perform beyond its intended zone) and after growing it on in a large pot, planted it in lightly amended clay loam soil in my zone 6b garden. It was the coldest winter our area has had in more than a decade (-30), and we did not have snow cover until late January (rarely happens). It was not fazed; in fact, it is thriving. It remained unaffected by pests of all kinds (unlike the two apple whips beside it); and reached 3.75 feet this fall, with three fastigiate branches. The leaves are thick, shiny, and deep green. The stem is also very thick. So far, really outstanding - Rick Sawatzky (U of Sask) is an outstanding plant breeder.

• glen3a
    8 years ago

Just an update on my tree. Though I had it surrounded by a low fence, the rabbit got to it and chewed a great portion of it last winter. However, it recovered rather nicely to approximately 3 feet high at present. Needless to say I have chicken wire now around the plant to give it greater protection higher up.

• meuhey .
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Can you guys give an update on your trees? I planted one this spring and it is still growing strong as of August 3rd.

• Darga w
    3 years ago

Any updates on how they are doing now? Thank you

• edward balkwill
    3 years ago

Mine is in Saskatchewan cold and dry. Gets regular watering in summer. Now after three years it is about 8-9 feet tall and growing up about a foot a year. Still no blooms yet but hopefully soon.

• HU-627478042
    2 years ago

Planted two 3 years ago. first year nothing happened. 2nd year one grew to 6-7 feet the other lagged behing at 4 ft. the bigger one had a dozen or so blossoms that sprouted but dropped off. Nothing happened on the smaller one . This year the big one grew to 9 ft. and bloomed gangbuster and has produced up to 40 farely big apples and doing great The smaller one is around 6.5 to 7 ft. had about a dozen blooms and produced 3 apples. the rest dropped off.( It might have a younger tree. Looking forward for it to rebound next year. I am in Kapuskasing in Northern Ontario-- this variety grows here it will grow anywhere. Looking forward to a bumper crop of Apples in 2022.( PAUL SEGUIN- August22/2021)

• Anna D
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can you all share how it did this year? Id love to hear especially from the commenter from Kap.

I'm interested in planting some next year if I can find some to purchase. I really appreciate your response. I'm from Temiskaming Shores area.

• George Zurakowski
    last year

I planted three Treasured Columnars in the Summer of 2021. The first year they basically "took" but grew only a bit. Last summer they took off and grew almost two feet. I have just pruned them and they are bright and green and fresh - so no winter damage. We are near Barry's Bay, Ontario.