Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graftingfruitz

Mango: 38 days from seed to successful graft

GraftingFruitZ
9 years ago

So here is a mango that I planted April 15th 2014. I grafted onto it, a Hayden scion on May 17th 2014. Toady is May 23rd 2014 and here you can see it has begun to push out its first set of leaves.

Here's what I did:

1. I prepared the budwood about two weeks after I planted the seed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XUwNf9ei-4

2. I planted the seed in Sunshine Mix #4 in a 1 gal pot.

3. In about 3 weeks, the budwood started swelling. I grafted the scion onto the seedling about 21/2" above the soil using a cleft/wedge graft. I wrapped the scion in Parafilm, inserted the scion into the seedling, wrapped the union with more Parafilm, tied the union with nursery tape and labeled it accordingly. I covered the entire pot with an opaque garbage bag after watering the seedling (I have not needed to water it since. The bag holds in the moisture like a greenhouse). I kept it under a tree for shading.

4. Uncovered it for the first time today. Voila!

I wrapped the tree back up with the garbage bag. I will leave the bag on for at least another week. By then the graft should be heeled and I will keep it in the shade.

I will post a follow-up photo in about a week and link a video when more scions are ready for grafting to show how I am grafting trees.

Comments (4)