Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelons Wilting?

Posted by james1235 3b (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 22:28

Hi, I planted a few watermelon plants outside around 2 weeks ago, they were doing fine indoor, but now they are starting to die, and they haven't had any growth since the transplant. I transplanted them from peat pots to the outdoors, and the variety of seeds is Early Canada Improved.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelons Wilting?

Your ground looks dry, and melons don't much like transplanting at all.

o

Some of our starts did that too.They were either Squash or Watermelon and a Rhubarb.
A nursery person told me it may be that they need to harden off a little by bringing them outside and giving them partial sun/shade for awhile.
She said most windows now have UV treatments on them and the full sun may be too much for the little ones.
Another possibility is a late frost,which could have occurred to my plants. Brady

o

Melons seedlings have delicate roots and can be more difficult to transplant than other vegetables. Success requires either luck or experience combined with a light touch.

Did you pull the melon plants out of the peat pot, or did you plant the peat pot and the plant into the ground?

Your soil looks a bit cloddy and coarse for vegetable seedlings.

Did you have a cover crop? Looks like a lot of stray roots or something laying about, like the remains of a worked-in cover crop.

Edit: The gradual hardening off mentioned above can be important; how much time passed from indoors to in the ground for your plants?

This post was edited by larry_gene on Sun, May 26, 13 at 22:47

o

thanks for the feedback, it turned out they had root rot!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here