Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple drop

Posted by dahlia6 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 22:30

I think we have experienced apple drop this season. We are located in western Maryland near Catoctin Mountains.
What can we do to prevent this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple drop

Allot of apples are naturally thinning themselves and normal, ...is this what's happening?

o

No, this is unusual. We have had a small orchard for years.
We had read that there is a mite that is causing apple drop in New York. Do you know anything about that?

o

Hello, I wonder if anyone has found a solution for the fruit drop problem with Mcintoshes? My problem is exactly as described in an older thread, all the apples drop off well before they are ripe, every year. They have started dropping this week. I am in northwest Oregon, a little west of the huge apple growing region in central Washington, and thought it's wetter and cooler I know apples do well here if they are looked after.

I have tried about everything I can think of to treat the tree but I have got zero results. None of the direct remedies seem to apply to apples dropping this early, and I haven't done anything other than treating the tree right for 4 years now. I have 2 other mature trees within 50 feet (Granny Smith and Gravenstien) and several 8 year old trees a few hundred feet away. None have ever had the problem so early or dropped more than a fraction of their fruit. No stress that I can point to, the other trees show no signs of stress, no damage except for some old woodpecker workings like the other two (that seems to have had no effect and it's old damage).

It was overgrown like any neglected tree 8 years ago and I cut the tree back to a picture perfect umbrella shape over 4 years. I prune in late winter/early spring, use dormant spray and spray for scab etc. 2 or 3 times before the fruit sets (they are super clean, insect free, except for a touch of scab on interior fruits). We have excellent pollination (we keep Mason bees) I have thinned them back to a couple apples per cluster and last year maybe 100 for the whole tree (it's at least 30 years old) for 2 years now. The fruit all drops by mid-summer, in fact it has just started dropping this week (it's June 22nd). No weird weather, nothing I can point to, but as the person in the older thread said, every single fruit drops not even close to being ripe.

o

Infested with something? Perhaps apple maggot.

o

No like I said there is nothing wrong with the fruit or the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here