Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neptune25

Part of Prelude raspberry plant chopped down by mower

neptune25
12 years ago

At the end of March, I planted 3 Prelude raspberry canes. They were all doing well. Today, however, someone else in the household who was mowing the grass was careless and did some damage to one of the plants, even though it was clearly marked with a red flag. The cane was about a foot or so tall, and a few inches of growth were coming from the roots (but there was no growth from the cane). He chopped off a lot of the cane, so that there are only a few inches left, and instead of being vertical, the now-small cane is leaning at about a 45-degree angle. He also chopped off some of the small growth coming from the bottom so that it's only about an inch high now.

The plant is not dead or anything, and I definitely think it will survive. But how much long-term damage has been done, if any? Would it have borne fruit this year anyway? If so, will that change now? As I mentioned, the only growth was coming out of the roots, and it wasn't that tall yet, so I'm hoping the damage was minimal. Does chopping down part of the cane make much difference if none of the growth was coming from there anyway?

Thanks for any info.

Comments (3)