Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tule or tulle

Posted by iammarcus 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 22:42

It was recommended that I use tule as an insect barrier on my plants. I can find tulle but not tule, are they the same product?
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tule or tulle

I think the right term is tulle. I've used it, but it doesn't come in wide widths.

o

It's tulle. Joann Fabrics sells it. I use it frequently in sewing and embroidery :-) You can sew it together to make it wider.

Patty S.

o

In the wedding dept of any fabric store you will find a couple of type of tulle as well as nylon net, which is even cheaper at about 60 cents/yard. If you just want to keep the birds out, nylon net is fine, and comes in 100 (apx) inch widths. I have a piece that moves from strawberries to black raspberries to blueberries.

As an insect barrier you will need tulle, which has a finer mesh. Regular tulle is easy to fasten in place anywhere with clothespins. French tulle is slightly stretchy, a bit more durable, costs a little more. If I were to go to the trouble of sewing something, I would use French tulle.

o

Can anyone compare floating row cover to tulle for cost and durability. The row cover should keep out, or in, almost any insect and is made to go over plants.

o

Well, I would think tulle will be more expensive, and possibly heavier. Plus the effort in having to possibly stitch two widths together. But, possibly more durable.

Patty S.

o

I tried wrapping my tree in frost cloth...the wind catches it so easily and rips it right off. Need to wrap it really well.

o

• Posted by suprneko 9b/sunset 16 NorCal, (My Page) on
    Sun, May 20, 12 at 15:29

Just wanted to chime in, tulle is wedding veil netting and it's pronounced 'tool'. It does tear easy. It comes in various widths. My friend staples it together to cover her cherry tree to keep out fruit flies, it does tear but she just staples it back together. Most fabric stores have coupons, Jo-Ann's typically has a 40% off one in their flyer, sometimes a 50% off one.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 20, 12 at 18:18

FN, tulle is cheaper, much lighter, and does not last (due to tearing, as mentioned by suprneko), compared to row cover. You can find it in the fabric section at walmart. it will also suffer UV degradation. I use it to keep birds off onion seedlings in the spring. They work equally well as insect barriers, so long as they are both new.

o

Row cover wins for durability, hands down. I have summer-weight pieces that are more than 6 years old.

When stored in a bin, out of light, when not in use, I can get two years out of regular tulle, four years out of French tulle.

Row cover looks like bandages, tulle looks like a wedding dress. The biggest difference is appearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here