Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abz5b

Blueberry Leaves

abz5b
10 years ago

Coupla leaves look like they have been munched on, but about 40% of the leaves seem to be deformed to some extant, anyone have an idea??

Comments (18)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Looks like a lot of plant in a small pot.

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

A lot of blueberry varieties have krinkled leafs. I've seen several SHB varieties like that. From what I've seen it's usually younger plants that are not mature yet. They tend to grow out of it.

• abz5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good they look very healthy in other respects it has several clusters of blueberries. Also have some barrels that they will be transplanted to here in a bit. Its currently sitting on the barrel in fact.

• sun_junkie
    10 years ago

Haven't encountered this one, very odd! Maybe feed them or try watering with seaweed for a few weeks. Could be a deficiency of some kind. Definitely not Fe deficient though

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I think this is a first..but I disagree with you Blueboy:) I don't recall ever seeing young BB with crinkled leaves that were healthy and vigorous. The leaves look slightly yellowed......did you just get these plants and what have you been watering them with and have you fertilized or added anything to the pots? If I had to guess something drastic has changed in the care the plants were receiving and this is just the first stage manifesting itself. Not blaming you of course but that is my guess.

• abz5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Only thing other than water, is a little bit of miracid added to the plants.

• tc88
    10 years ago

Did you water from the top and get the water onto the leaves? If so, that may be the reason.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Earily thrip damage on blueberry leaves

Flower thrips damages some leaves below flower clusters by laying eggs inside leaves they hatch and move on off to another flowering plant one pesticide application helps lower misshape fruit by thrips fruit and fruit lose. When flowers are about 50% open thrips move in to watch for thrips by a very small flying around flowers can be seen time for spray. I used fly sticky tape ribbon on mind seem to work.

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

I'm trying to find some photos in my photobucket account with these type leafs. I think I might have even posted on here about it a couple years back but Gator could be right as I had bad thrip problems the last two years and that sure would explain a lot. This is why they tend to grow out of it once those leafs drop. I've used Spinosad in the past to control thrips and had pretty good luck with it. They haven't been that bad this year and I'm sure the cooler than normal spring has a lot to do with it. In the past they really come on strong in Aug-Sept just in time to try to ruin your fruiting wood for next spring. They are nasty little bugs and must all die!!!!

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Blueboy Google

thrip damage on blueberry leaves

The damage on some Images way worst then we seen so many types Thrips we may have most of one list on net.
    Your reports on Thrips spark my interest in pest last year and only insect I've saw this year on my Farlington the leave damage always just below all fruit buds and never on leaf off from flower cluster. Picken damage leaves be good thing to destroy them egg and all but don't no hatch time research continues we may need pick leaves before that fall explosion in numbers.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Gator,

That makes sense.......Blueboy I know has thrip problems as he has mentioned it before. We don't have them here and could be why I have never seen that happen.

• riverman1
    10 years ago

Although I suppose it's possible it's a pest I doubt it because they outgrow it. I see it in young plants like the one pictured and in the early spring, after that it mostly goes away. Again, I planted two toros last spring I bought from Home Depot, both had leaves identical to those in the picture above. By late summer the leaves looked fine and this spring all the leaves look perfect. In past years I have had half my new plants have leaves like this and in the following year, they all look fine. I still think it has something to do with nutrient or water uptake. Once the roots have established themselves the problem goes away.

RM

• riverman1
    10 years ago

Toro last summer shortly after planting, lots of curled and cupped leaves.

{{gwi:106052}}

Same plant, this year......still a few cupped leaves but most all will be gone in another month and also a few berries. :)

{{gwi:106053}}

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have seen this on newly planted strawberries and blackberries too. So I do think it has to do with root damage myself too. Although no doubt other things can cause the same problems. I have also seen browned edges and I'm pretty sure it is not a disease or pest. New plants, new beds with new dirt. I thought maybe fertilizer burn, but only organics were used.

• billy_o
    10 years ago

One of my plants has the same problem but getting better I hope. One other older tree has just a little of it. The younger plant which was affected the most I cleared the mulch around roots raked lightly around roots then added peat. It seems a little better. Nursery told me they are very sensitive. Someone could have had there yard sprayed upwind and it drifted. Or over fertilized.

I did spray grass and weed killer not far from them, that may have affected them also.

• riverman1
    10 years ago

It's certainly possible its pest related but from my experience it seems more related to soil temps and root development. So long as soil ph is in correct range or close to it and leaves are green, your plant should snap out of it. II worried way too much about this when I first put my plants in the ground and all of them eventually cleared up. Hopefully your plants will get better soon.

RM

• gstrout6761
    7 years ago

The wrinkling of the leaves is likely causes by insufficient calcium, although it could be due to humidity. Google "wrinkled leaves calcium" or "wrinkled leaves humidity" should get you further information. The redness on the edges of the leaves is likely the result of the soil having a higher pH than the plants prefer which prevents them from extracting both calcium and other nutrients they need. Mixing 1/2-3/4 cup of something like Epsoma soil acidifier per plant into the surrounding soil should correct both issues.