Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spray & chore schedule for new backyard dwarf fruit trees?

Posted by dohertyc9 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 22:59

I need advice on when / what to spray for my fruit trees. I have a mix - apples, pears, peach, plum, cherry. They were bareroot whips last year, all I did was mulch last year, and they seem healthy so far. The peach had about four blossoms on it a week ago, that's it so far.

1. Is there a spray and chore program I could follow? I have Lewis Hill's "Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden" and I'm googling like crazy but feel like I need more hand-holding. Something more tree-specific and area-specific (I live in Chicago.) Is there a good online resource for these sprays?

2. Japanese beetles were a HUGE problem last year, they ate every leaf off my plum and cherry. I used some kinda organic potassium spray that killed on contact but couldn't keep up with them.

3. Last year late in the summer the pear trees developed mostly brown curled leaves - but not at all what I see if I google images of fireblight. No damage to branches. The leaves this year are gorgeous green. What should I do to prevent this again?

4. I did not use dormant spray yet. Is it too late? It's mid-May and there's plenty of foliage. Sometimes we're still dipping to 40 degrees at night.

5. If I'm not worrying about blossoms or fruit sets this year, should I even bother spraying this year?

This post was edited by dohertyc9 on Sat, May 18, 13 at 23:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray & chore schedule for new backyard dwarf fruit trees?

I have not heard or read which fits all fruit tree critters. You did not make dormant spray is big mistake. Japanese beetle are easy to fight with spectracide spray. The trees you mentioned are mostly called stone fruit. The biggest enemy for stone fruit is OFM and codling moth. From my experience fighting the adults is impossible because they are ghosts and they don't damage to the trees. Commercial growers has their ways and resources to fight it. The damage is caused by their eggs which hatch into larva and destroy the new stem growth and mainly the fruit. The best way to fight these critters is to prevent the eggs from hatching.

o
RE: Spray & chore schedule for new backyard dwarf fruit trees?

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 10:25

dohertyc9,

I wouldn't worry about spraying anything this growing season, until you see a problem. At least that's pretty much how I manage my non-bearing trees. An exception might be borers. If you know the area has a problem with borers, that might justify a preventative treatment.

Peach trees bear pretty early, but if yours only had 4 blooms it's likely most (or all) of those will fall off.

Triazicide or carbaryl (Sevin) will help control Japanese beetle. Sevin is probably slightly more effective than Triazicide.

Dormant sprays must be done in the dormant season. Oil can be sprayed in the growing season, but only at a lower rate. At this time, there is probably no point in spraying oil.

The next dormant season, you'll probably want to spray your peach tree for peach leaf curl.

Treehugger,

Codling moth doesn't attack stone fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here