Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone else trim ends off grape clusters?

Posted by 2010ChampsBCS 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 23:00

Over the last 3 years I noticed that the grapes on the end of the cluster ripen later than the other part. I went out this morning and trimmed about 1/3 off each. What is your opinions on this. All replys are welcome, even the critical ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone else trim ends off grape clusters?

I was taught to trim the tips off all my grape clusters.
I know it is beneficial to how they ripen on the vine somehow.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 9:12

It varies with cultivar. Flame has a very long cluster and is sort of hour glass shape. I trim off a large amount there, 40-50%. Summer Royal isn't as badly shaped and gets a smaller trimming. Princess only on a few clusters and crimson none.

The other reason is that some of those tip berries never ripen properly, less color and sour.

Instead of thinning off so many clusters I now leave more clusters that are trimmed.

On a few clusters I even trim off the tips of the upper "arms" of the cluster. Anywhere there's a concentration of berries on the end of a long arm.

I'm not sure if this will open up tight clusters or make the remaining cluster tighter. I'm hoping it will have no effect or open. I've only done tip pruning a couple yrs and on an intermittent basis so still learning.

o

I watched carefully as the clusters bloomed this season, and also noticed that the end sections was the last to flower. So I'm guessing this has some bearing on the ripe date. My vineyard consist of one Mars almost seedless grape. I would like to add one or two more when I feel like I can do a good job taking care of the plants. Thanks for your guidance and to others that would like to to add to what has already been posted. Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here