Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fertilizer grape vines

Posted by walterupchurch 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 23:08

Has any one use liquid fertilizer like 20-20=20- i was thinking about useing it instead of 10 10 10 granual i can ues it thou my drip system .Iam haveing to water my vines a lot hear now we need rain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fertilizer grape vines

Walter:

Is there some particular reason why you want to fertilize your grapevines? Grapes usually need little to no fertilizer to grow and produce well. I am sure that the 20-20-20 would be fine for your drip system, but I would not use it routinely on grapevines. You could get a lot of bushy, succulent growth, and not many grapes.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

don thank you for the respond the vines are new an weare not geting any rain to melt the fertilizer thay why i was ask about the 20-20-20-

o

Walter,
When I first started my grapes ( 10 years ago ) a friend of mine from Texas A&M told me in the first growing season to use a balanced liquid fertilizer every 14 to 30 days.
This allowed for strong root growth and healthy cane estabilishment. And discouraged fruit set to allow the vine to become established. After the first season I have applied a LITTLE granual in early spring.
I guess you have to ask yourself what is the priority for your grapes this season, trying for fruit set... or establish the vine for next season. In Houston, in late May we would have little hope of setting bunches at this late date. It may not be the case for your area.

It worked for myself, but every garden and gardener is different.
Hope it helps
Wade Warner Houston, TX

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here