Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a spring freeze kill apple trees?

Posted by bassrow 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 23:10

Two trees, Enterprise on M-9 rootstock, were lost. Trees planted on either side, Crimson Gold and Galerina on Bud-9, are growing well, and actually are carrying some fruit. They were transplanted last year in a tall spindle arrangement, spaced 3 feet apart.
March weather was hot, with highs in the low 80s, followed by cold nights in April with lows in the low and mid 20s. They abruptly stopped growing around this time, when the buds were at tight cluster. There is a crack at the grafts. One of the roots sprouted new growth about a week ago.
Is it possible for the freeze to have killed the trees?

Other possible risk factors I have been thinking about may have been:
Spraying - dormant oil was followed several weeks later with captan. The captan was applied the afternoon before a cold but not freezing night.
Root injury- the area was "cleaned-up", raked and mulched. Perhaps surface roots of the M-9s were damaged.

I�d so appreciate any comments.
Here�s a few pictures. I can get a pic of the grafts if it would help

https://picasaweb.google.com/117477899665145839429

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a spring freeze kill apple trees?

I've never seen death at tight cluster with these temp, ..around 10F yes.

o
RE: Can a spring freeze kill apple trees?

Check the roots for vole damage. Pine voles can girdle roots without being apparent above ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here