Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry plants I inherited, need advice.

Posted by AH9200 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 23:10

I inherited a bunch of raspberry plants along the fence in my backyard.

How do I care for them? And prune them? Will they come back year after year?

href="http://s1298.photobuckPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry plants I inherited, need advice.

They will not only come back year after year, but most likely they will spread vigorously if you don't keep them in check.

As for pruning, it greatly depends on whether your raspberry is primocane-fruiting or floricane-fruiting. I've linked to the Cornell extension's fact sheet, which will tell you what to do in either case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Pruning (Cornell Extension)

o
RE: Raspberry plants I inherited, need advice.

Raspberry canes live for 2 years, and for the most part, they only produce fruit the 2nd year. So at any given time, you will have 1st year canes just beginning the cycle, 2nd year canes that produce fruit, and older canes that are dead. The old dead wood should be removed immediately. The 2nd year canes should be thinned to 5-6 canes per foot, keeping the strongest ones that are within the row that you want to maintain. Dozens of others will probably need to be removed. But keep all the baby canes that start out sort of purple in spring then turn a brighter green. If they spread too far from your row you can prune them out but let the other babies grow. Raspberries spread underground like weeds. They will get all over the place if you let them. They are very vigorous, very hardy plants, difficult to kill. Even in shade or without much water or poor soil they will grow and spread like nothing else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here