Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tru-Gold peach

Posted by cckw 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 23:17

This peach grows true from seed. After seeing some mentions of that I did some google work and found the patent info on it at the time, and that is correct.

A friend has this tree and when I tried peaches right off the tree I thought they were just OK. however a day on the counter and I rated them much higher.

Here is my question, with another tree like 50-75' away what are the chances of the tree being pollinated by itself vs the neighboring tree? Or in other words the odds of the seeds being true Tru-gold? and in general what do others think of this peach?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tru-Gold peach

Tomatoes can be cross pollinated, but many times the flower is fertilized by itself before it even opens. A similar process may be going on with this peach. So even if bees bring pollen over, it doesn't matter embryo is already started.Tomatoes and peppers do not need bees at all.

o
RE: Tru-Gold peach

Here is the info I found on it.

http://www.seedquest.com/News/releases/2006/september/16816.htm

http://www.seedtoday.com/articles/usda_grants_protection_to_23_new_plant_varieties-37096.html

this is an excerpt from the link underneath: 1) Release of 'TruGold' peach. Peach trees are currently propagated on rootstocks. This is a labor intensive and expensive process. We have developed a peach that comes true from seed and therefore does not require a rootstock. 'TruGold' peach is a high quality dessert peach that is productive and late blooming to avoid spring frosts. It represents a new technology for nursery production of peach varieties. 'TruGold' is currently licensed for sale by a commercial nursery. This aligns with National Program 301 (Plant Genetic Resources, Genomics, and Genetic Improvement), Component 3: Genetic Improvement of Crops, Problem Statement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here