Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iluvbotany4life

Anne Raspberry Problems

iluvbotany4life
11 years ago

I've been growing an anne raspberry and a regular red rasberry plant on a t-bar trellis for 3 growing seasons now. The plants are about 5 ft from each other, so both are in similar soil and lighting conditions. The red raspberry is thriving. This has been the best year for it. More canes have shot up than I can count, and the canes are loaded with fruit that should be ripe in a few weeks. The Anne on the other hand is not doing so well. There are only about 2 or 3 canes, and they are rather droopy and sad looking. The canes are already producing ripe fruit, but there isn't much there. Some of the leaves are yellowing a bit as well. There is a medium sized catalpa tree to the east of the plants, and there is a large shed to the west of them, so the plants are getting noon-day and some afternoon sun, and shade the rest of the time. I have also noticed that something has been chewing a few leaves from both plants. Is it unsafe to apply pesticides while the fruit is developing? I'd really like to know why the anne is having trouble and what I should do about the pests?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida