Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost & plums & hardy Mac apples

Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 23:25

I have a 4 in 1 plum tree that shud be blooming in the next week. We have had several frosty nites. Will that hurt the buds or only once they are blooming. Same with the Hardy Mac. It's got buds forming and for sure I don't want to lose them. First year for both trees. My 4 in 1 apple seems to not be too bothered by later frosts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost & plums & hardy Mac apples

Anything up to minus 5C. for a short period we should be fine if the flowers haven't open yet.
If the tree is small and you want to be safe, cover it with a light frost blanket/fleece or row cover.
The earliest apple to push leaves in spring is the Trailman Crab, mine are out and some years ago a couple died from a heavy frost,.. around minus 10C. this time of the year.
All other apples and plums haven't opened yet and they should be fine.

o
RE: Frost & plums & hardy Mac apples

Thanks Konrad. You know you shud have your own web site for this area as you are so knowledgible of what is going on here.Plus you are aways there to answer questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here