Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Papaya seedlings...... What now?

Posted by dheaney Florida zone 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 23:27

I planted these seeds in my yard in Florida (zone 10). The pictures show two separate groups. They are now seedlings and I need to know what to do next. Should I prune some of the smaller seedlings and then let the others grow more? I would like atleast one female and one male, if possible a hermaphrodite but I know you need flowers to tell which is which. HELP PLEASE!!!! Pics to follow.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Papaya seedlings...... What now?

i'd thin them down to about 6 plants at each spot.

you can do a search about papaya flowers. i believe male only trees will bloom first. sending out a long inflo. the female and herm trees will have a single flower per leaf.

o
RE: Papaya seedlings...... What now?

Definitely err on the side of more seedlings, as long as they're not totally crowded... I found a high rate of seedling mortality due to damping off and other causes. This was in a pot, but still I only have one surviving three years later from a bunch of seedlings like in your pic. Might be better to seed a short row or scatter seeds in a slightly larger area in your case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here