Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted cherry - protect from cracking and birds?

Posted by lsoh 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 23:29

My Stella Cherry has cherries on it for the first time. It's in a pot. I live in Northern Ohio. Zone 5, maybe zone 6.

I have a series of pvc arches that I use as a frame for frost protection and bird nets for a dozen or so potted fruit trees / bushes. I will also use that frame to create a plastic sheet umbrella to keep rain off the Cherries to prevent cracking.

Problem is I will be leaving for 8 days. Our wonderful neighbors will water while I'm gone. It's a bit of a hassle to work around the bird net. If it's not necessary, I'd prefer not to impose that on my neighbor. So I'd prefer to delay the net & plastic sheeting.

Questions:
1) Any idea what the earliest date I would need to put up the netting and plastic?
2) How long before harvest are my cherries likely to show color and attract birds?

For Reference, Adams County nursery is one zone warmer than me. They list the harvest date for their earliest sweet cherry as 6/15.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted cherry - protect from cracking and birds?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 10:30

Rain cracking only occurs just before harvest. Bird damage can begin soon after the cherries begin to color. So that would be before rain cracking. Color begins to show about 2-4 weeks before harvest. I'd say 4 weeks for me because the cherries continue to get sweeter well after most people are forced to harvest.

If you are leaving soon I'd think you'd be alright. My impression is that everything is late up there this year. If they aren't beginning to change color when you leave then you are still quit a ways from harvest.

o

Thanks fruitnut.

I'm not leaving for a couple of weeks yet. I'm a beginner at this. But we did have a late spring, so I would expect fruit to ripen later.

Followup questions:

How long do you leave your cherries on the tree after they look ripe?

I've been learning from your blueberry posts too. How long do you leave blueberries on the bush after they look ripe?

Thanks.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 23:28

On cherries probably at least two weeks after they are fully colored up. But that's one crop where you taste them as they go along and decide for yourself. There is usually a downside to leaving them on too long, less acid if you like that and softer fruit.

Blueberries are really about the same but I've left them anywhere from days to 6 weeks. Same potential downsides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here