Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ate my first Flavorosa Pluot today

Posted by Steve357 N. CA (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 23:31

I have to say, I'm not all that impressed. My tree has been in the ground a little over 2 years and this is the first crop (15 or so)
They don't taste bad, but they just don't have that WOW of some of the other Pluots. Also, they don't hang on the tree,
they seem to drop once they get near ripe.
On a better note, my Flavor Supreme's are starting to show some color!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ate my first Flavorosa Pluot today

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 30, 14 at 8:54

IME Flavor Supreme is vastly superior to Flavorosa. The later has dropped for me and tasted about like yours. Ditto off the tree in DWN test orchard Reedley, CA. Of course the catalogs make Flavorosa sound superb. I didn't have any better results with Flavor Royale. It was supposed to blow the socks off Flavor Supreme and ripen earlier, ha, wrong on both counts!

The only way I've ruined Flavor Supreme is by leaving too many on the tree or over watering. Just planted another 4 trees and ripped out those losers.

o

FN,

I had a Flavor Supreme and it procduced very light fruits even with a Santa Rosa 10 feet away. What plum varieties did you hand pollinate your FS.

Tony

o

Fri, May 30, 14 at 9:44

Tony:

I hand pollinate Flavor Supreme with a variety of pluots. When hand pollinating I go in a circle collecting pollen and pollinating everything in turn. With as many varieties as I have it's all luck of the draw.

The last two yrs my Flavor Supreme way overset with hand pollination. Last yr I left about 100 fruit on a small tree in a pot, wrong, and they weren't too good. This yr I've left about 30 and expecting much better results. I'll probably not eat half those and give away the rest so why not thin more.

o

Excellent! Next year I will try pollinate it with F. King, F. Grenade, Dapple Dandy, and Pluerry. I Just want about 40 good fruits on a large tree. THX.

Tony

o

Tony, within a 30ft radius of my Flavor Supreme I have:
Flavorosa
Flavor King
Elephant heart
3n1 of Splash, Geo Pride, Emerald Drop
Santa Rosa
Satsuma
Flavor Queen
Dapple Dandy
Flavor Finale
Dapple Supreme- planted this year (I let it set a couple of fruit so I could sample)

I took fruitnut's advice and started hand pollinating my FS last year. I use one of those padded brushes that women use to apply eye makeup. My FS has been in the ground 4 or 5 years. Last year I had about 30 fruit, This year I had to thin like crazy and per fruitnut's advice I left about 50 fruit .

o

Fri, May 30, 14 at 10:31

Steve: Great job!! I hope your FS is up to expectations!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here