Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bench Grafting Sour Cherries, What would you do?

Posted by jagchaser 5A Nebraska, Late fr (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 23:37

I have 10 Krymsk 5 and 25 Mahaleb Rootstocks that I whip grafted montmorency and a few evans onto.

Krymsk got grafted and planted outside in a wind protected spot, on 4-6 right before that cold snap. NONE of them look like they took. Rootstocks themselves have leafed and look good.

Mahaleb got grafted on 4-13 and planted in a bucket which I have been taking in and out every day and covering when the humidity is low. It looks like about half of them took. A few have buds that show leaves starting to emerge, most of the other good ones just show green buds. The rootstocks themselves are leafed out already.

My scion wood leftovers are still in the fridge and most of them have good shiny green buds on them now. They are the smaller pieces and would not line up with the rootstock. They make work for side grafting.

What would you do? Wait longer? Scrap the bad scions and redo the grafts? Make the scion wood leaf out and do a chip graft?

Im not sure what to do, when to do it, or why, so I would sure appreciate some points.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bench Grafting Sour Cherries, What would you do?

JC,
I grafted 5 cherry trees last year and they all took. Just remember to rub off all the shoots below the union so the sap flow only to the scionwoods. Good luck.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here