Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Valiant grape pruning question.

canadianplant
9 years ago

This question was spurred (pun intended) from the thread below.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg051335078165.html?9

First I have to say thanks to all in that thread because for some reason I could never wrap my head around grape pruning. Now I have a great idea of where to start. Many of you said something along the lines of " The oldest bark is dark and rough with peeling bark and last years wood (what you want) is lighter and smooth"

This is the third season for my valiant. I didnt prune it at all last year because there were only three two foot long canes before its first winter. During the season they pushed out three canes all 6.4 feet long.

Now I am sort of lost what to do. I know there are single and double tier systems for grapes. The lower portions of one or two of the canes have small lateral branches about a foot long as well.

I am just not sure of what cane(s) to keep and how short to prune. The pic below is late last season.. If you need recent ones let me know and ill grab them.

Comments (7)

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Are all your canes alive and pushing out high up?
    If so, I would train not more then two leader up from that plant.

I have some at the house and I can train them on the wall,
    out of town, [colder] I have to train them low on the ground, [main leader] and have fruiting shoots tie upward, the main leader, about 4 inches from the ground I'll let down to the ground over winter.

Here in link is a good pruning video

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Grape

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Another link here, [local] for cold climate growing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Grapes - Start to Finish

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

This my own invention, ...little easier way for cold area growing, have main leaders tied up a little higher, then no need of tying fruiting vines upward. I can still lay down leaders to the ground in the fall.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to take a better look konrad but they seem to be alive at least three or 4 feet from the main trunk. Youre saying that if they are alive to or near the tip I should leave the canes alone? Should I set them laterally?

Valiant should be almost 100% hardy here, besides the usual tip die back grapes tend to get.

I guess im wondering what to do with the long canes. They should be set to produce something this year and I want to give them their best chance. Of I lay them horizontally they lateral shoots are the ones that should produce fruit right?

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

You need to establish your main leaders, I would choose 2 of the strongest canes coming from the base of the plant, if you have only one at the base coming off then that's fine, you can branch out further up to 2 or 3 canes max. to wherever you them to go. These will be your main leaders, they will become thicker by the years and your fruiting vines will come off this and need to be pinched back in growing season when fruits sets. In spring, these need to be pruned back to one or two buds. See diagram, Grapes - Start to Finish.

Another video, showing your main leaders, fruiting vines are pruned back in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bi-Lateral Vine Pruning by Vinoptic

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

When choosing your, say two main leaders, trim all side vines
    back to that main leader, only remaining one bud, this bud will be sprouting and will bring fruits, pinch back ends when you see two or 3 clusters of fruits on your still young plant, the energy will then more divert into the fruits instead of making vines.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot konrad I figured it out today.

The canes were alive about 5 feet up, one of them 6 feet. After having such a bad winter im sure it will be hardy longer term. I cut last years canes to a live bud and bend them horizontally. One had to be a bit lower then I wanted but well see how it goes. Being that low to the ground will really warm up the vine.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz