Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American persimmon flower buds

Posted by alexander3 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 23:38

A friend of mine has a seed grown American persimmon that is maybe 5 years old, and about 8 or 9 feet tall. this spring it is loaded with flower buds, and they are all in clusters of 3, which I thought was unusual. But here's a picture of some. By any chance, is this kind of clustering characteristic of male flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American persimmon flower buds

Alex,

Those looks like male flowers. Btw, how is the Tam Kam handle the cold harsh winter? My Nikita's Gift and Ichi got hit hard but survived. Most of the small fruiting branches were toast. All the larger branches are leafing out now. There won't be any fruit this year.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Male American persimmon

o

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input. I hope they are male flowers, I'll know soon in any case. I've got flower buds on my Early Golden, Lena, and I-94, so a nearby source of pollen would be great for me.

I was going to write to you soon....I thought my Tam Kam had completely died, but in the last few days, a few buds have started growing along the old (3 or 4 year old) wood. Was the scion wood I sent you any good?

Alex

o

Alex,

The scion was dried up probably from winter killed. Maybe some green bud wood in August if possible. Thx,

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here