Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captaininsano

Thank You! Fruit Nut, Drew51, Blueboy, Bamboo Rabbit and others!

Just wanted to take a minute and thank all of the experienced gardeners commercial and home for their advice this past year and a half I have been getting back into gardening. I have found something I love that relaxes stresses and perplexes me at times. I know that for a lot of you this is your livelihood and it is very good of you to take time out of your schedules to help beginners. I hope I can take all of the advice and put it to good use, and in the future help others with knowledge I have gained. Once again, Thank You!

Comments (9)

• blueboy1977
    9 years ago

I guess I will be the first to say your very welcome! I really havent been doing it too long but I have learned a lot in a short amount of time. I think everyone will agree, it just feels good to help someone one out. Doesnt seem to matter how either. I would assume all the names mentioned help a lot of people out side of garden web in the real world as well. Fruitnut and Bamboo really helped me a lot when I started out and I wouldnt be where Im at today if it were not for those 2 guys. So cheers guys! Fine work! ;)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Thanks for the support! I too have learned a great deal from participating on this site. It's hardly one sided. Anyone reluctant to post should realize we all learn from each interaction. So the more the merrier in terms of posters.

• bkgennings
    9 years ago

I too would like to extend a thanks to all the experts on this site. I do a lot more reading and investigating than posting but one day I hope to contribute some if possible.

Thanks to you all you make this site a treasury.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Thanks although I'm not really an expert for sure with fruit. I would consider myself an expert for succulents and tropical's. The only fruit I have grown for a couple decades are grapes.
    And yes I have learned a lot from others. Observation and such by others has been super helpful.
    Some advice to beginners. Start with tried and true cultivars for your area. You will have better success, and the plants are more tolerant of mistakes. Next take on new cultivars that look good for your area, but are not really proven. Then you can try experimentals. If you start with them, it will only lead to disappointment. Having experience of a few harvests will help you grow these difficult types.
    On blueberries I'm growing plants meant for my area. My harvest this year will be good. I added some new cultivars and experimental this year after 4 years of growing tried and true to my area. Anyway I will now always get a crop and can afford to try unproven plants, no biggy of they fail. My harvest is secure.

• captaininsano (9b/13) Peoria, AZ.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in a harsh summer environment and am just learning what will work and not work, as we really have two short seasons for annuals and we need to have perennials that can survive our summer heat, I am attempting blueberries again this year after a half hearted attempt last year, fingers crossed, and blackberries a few different varieties based on chill, see if they can survive the summer heat. If I didn't love the Fall Spring and Winter here I would probably move to a cooler climate. Summer temps do not really bother me just that it is so hard to keep anything thriving through it. But again thank you I know that most of you are coming from different areas and zones but the advice really does help.

• captaininsano (9b/13) Peoria, AZ.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew51 I am trying out two Raja Puri Bananas any experience with these? I haven't done much other than plant them and water, they are now about 5ft tall I got them in Feb. mail order and they were tiny two leaf plants.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

I too would like to thank you guys. Help comes from these people and many others. There is no way to name them all. Harvestman has also on many occasions offered his expertise to the mix. Thanks to all of you, I'm making less mistakes.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

CaptainInsano , no I don't sorry. Sounds like you are doing a fine job though!! Sounds like a cool plant to grow, now I want one! Edible tropical fruits are really different than ornamental ones, and my experience with edibles is very limited. I would say to give them as much sun as possible, you probably have to protect them in the winter? If you bring them in, the best method is like when going outside. Slowly expose to the indoor environment, cutting the light slowly, leaving inside an hour or two, put them back out, keep them in an hour longer next day. Slowly exposing them to the indoor environment. And do the same when you put them out in the spring. Just don't leave them in full sun.
    You may even want to cut back some foliage in the fall. This is where specific advice is needed for this plant, that I don't have. Some tropical's I cut back, others I do not. Some I expose to frost to kick into dormancy, others it would kill them.
    This year I'm going to overwinter a plant most do not think of as tropical, but it is very tropical and that is a pepper plant. They can live for about a decade. They become small trees.

• tomIL
    9 years ago

I too was a reader more than a poster. But I do appreciate all the expertise and advises from your guys and gals.

I learned quite a bit from all you active posters...