Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Apple Leaf Disease

Posted by Mike650 CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 23:41

Hi Gardenweb Community,

I'm hoping to get some help on identifying this issue with my Fuji apple tree. I purchased it recently from Home Depot and the leaves already had this issue. In addition to the brown spots, the leaves overall are somewhat harder and brittle than normal. Is this apple scab?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Apple Leaf Disease

I don't think that is apple scab. More likely physical damage from the trees getting banged around during trucking, unloading, etc.

o

If not mechanical damage during shipping, perhaps hail damage.

o

Thanks Don & Jean, your feedback is encouraging. There's some new leaves coming out now so I'll keep a close eye on those.
-Mike

o

Hey Mike-

I wonder if this tree was sprayed by the nursery before it was sent to Home Depot. It almost looks like a spray treatment could have burnt the leave.

Not that I have done that before :) Let us know how the new leaves come in.

Chris

o

Thanks for the info Chris. Fortunately the new growth is coming in pretty clean, so I'm hoping the damage on the old growth was indeed just due to mechanical damage or spray. Will continue to keep a close eye on it!
-Mike

o

Big box trees get banged around so much and are lucky to get average maintenance before they are sold.
I have seen lots of nursery trees were the leaves look like that before they are sold.
The new growth will tell you more about it down the road.
The new growth looks good and it will probably be ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here