Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a raspberry?

Posted by JoppaRich 7b (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 23:43

I've got a couple of raspberry bushes in pots, and one of them looks very different than the rest. Can someone ID this for me? Is it actually a raspberry, or do I have a hitchhiker here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a raspberry?

Flowers:

o

The rest of mine seem to look like this:

o

Looks like a raspberry, maybe Latham variety ?

o

Looks like Japanese Wineberry, Rubus phoenicolasius

Here is a link that might be useful: Wineberry

o

It's definitely a raspberry. Looks a lot like my heritage raspberry. The other picture looks like a totally thornless raspberry... ? If it's thornless it might be a Joan J raspberry or it's something else like a thornless blackberry.

o

Looks like a wineberry plant to me. In my state it is considered an invasive species.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:21

Definitely a Wineberry- the first 2 pics are quite clear (I can't tell what the 3rd is). They grow wild around my yard. I like the fruit, though you'll need to race the birds for it.

o

Went outside, and checked again, the 3rd picture has a label that says Meeker. Its completely thornless.

I have one thats labled heritage, and it has thorns, but not nearly what the one pictured above has.

Latham might be right, as it sounds familiar, I know home depot carries it, and I may have bought it. Tag went somewhere though.

o

Your top two pictures show Rubus phoenicolasius, not Latham or any other raspberry cultivar. Maybe the tags got mixed up at the store. Did you look at the link?

o

Certainly looks like it, thanks Flora_UK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here