Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID critter on my apple tree

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 23:59

This year my apple tree seems to finally be setting a decent amount of fruit and wouldn't you know it a ton of these little buggers are on it.

What are they? It seems they are doing some foliage damage. Think its important I spray some insecticide if I expect to eat any home grown apples?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID critter on my apple tree

NO!!! Ladybug larvae! You're very fortunate to have them, they eat tons and tons and TONS of aphids. They only eat bugs, not foliage. Just let Mother Nature do its thing :-)

Patty S.

o

Those are good guys,Ladybird beetle(Ladybug) larva.They might be going after Aphids or other insects that are eating the leaves. Brady

o

Lol and thank you!

Perhaps this is to be a good year for ladybugs.

o

It is good to know what the ladybug larvae look like. I have a ton of lady bugs so I try not to spray anything unless I have to. They seem to do a good job of keeping things clear. The only tree I had to spray this year was a small pecan tree becuase I had some bugs that were stripping the leaves off it.

o

It's funny how something that looks so malevolent can be so beneficial.

o

They always remind me of little Gila Monsters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here