Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please I.D. plant

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 23:59

About 2 or 3 years ago I picked up some small fruits or berries from our local show, all I remember, supposed to be a shrub, berries are red about 2 x goji size, with a fairly large seed,..but then I could be wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please I.D. plant

goumi?

o

Thank you Melikee!
Berries do look a bit as I remember,..surely wish it would be these, ..it would be kind of tough to grow zone 4 plants in my zone 3, but you never know in a sheltered spot in the city. Have some transplanted after growing 2 seasons and none seemed to have succumbed.
Have mailed the picture to some top guy's from the show but none can answer it. Might just have to wait for fruits.

o

Image does not remind me of goumi leaves. Goumi will proceed to have tiny, trumpet-like blooms. Plant will have thorns by second or third year. Fruit, bark, and leaves all have a fine pale speckled appearance.

Perhaps your seedling is to young to exhibit those characteristics.

o

I have no idea, except that it is definitely not goumi, or anything else related, which all have silvery scales as larry gene says.

o

Looks a little like a pokeberry. Don't know how cold hardy they are.

o

Yes, looks like nasty 'pokeweed'

o

That's exactly what I think also. Pokeweed. I have them emerging from roots. overwintering.The chinese eat freshies as they come up. The berry is toxic.

o

Thank you all!
I remember the berries were red,..but then I could be wrong.
I'll post a picture at the end of this growing season.

o

A quick read..
all parts of Pokeweed is poisonous.

So, no Pokeweed, I don't think anybody would take this to a fruitshow.

o

People around here used to eat the foliage if it's pokeberry, but it has to do with timing and color, etc. So poke could be sold as an edible. Some folks are looking for it to buy as a medicinal as well. It was called 'poke salad' around here by the oldtimers.

I have tons as weeds near my woods edge. The birds like the berries :) They are dark purple and pretty distinctive when ripe, so you'll know if it is poke, I think. They have a big root like a root vegetable, too.

o

That's funny... I was going to suggest it was some kind of "weed" too, only I was scared everybody would think I'm nuts. Is it possible that what you photographed is not what the person thought they were selling you?

Anyway, to me it looks a bit like bindweed. Yikes!

o

Elderberry? Konrad I was once the chairman of the Boston Flower Show and you wouldn't believe what people brought in! Mrs. G

o

Other pots in the image appear empty. How many seeds were planted and what was the sprouting success rate? Could the potting soil have been contaminated with other seed?

--------------------
Poke sallet is a cooked dish; the term "poke salad" is often used instead and does not necessarily imply eating the greens fresh.

This post was edited by larry_gene on Sun, May 26, 13 at 23:05

o

Thank you all!
All pots have a transplant, ...just took a picture from the largest one.

Here a picture before the transplant.

o

After transplant...

o

I don't think thats a pokeweed, too woody on the stem. Poke will be dark red and soft on the stem and die after fruiting. The first picture looked like poke but in this last one it does not.

o

>>Elderberry? <<

I know the red elderberry, some people grow them here, [not me] berries are edible, seeds are poisonous. The black, much better fruit, doesn't really grow well here, it freezes back...been trying.

I don't think the leaves resembles of elderberry.

o

I don't think its an elderberry.

o

My very first instinct was that it was chokecherry, but they have much smaller berries. It reminds me of a seedling prunus of some sort. If you acquired seed at the show do you have any more to take a picture of?

o

Is that a speckled stem, or is that water-splashed or -borne grime?

Speckling is one characteristic of Elaeagnus species.

o

Sorry, no more seeds.
Yes, speckled stem.

o

Konrad - At first glance it looks like my apple seedlings - without the serated edge...

Then I thought Cotoneaster, but the berries are poison...

Then, I though coronus mas, which looks VERY similar... Very hardy, very edible fruits

o

Thank you all!
canadianplant,..
Wish it would be coronus mas, zone 4/5... ..it sure looks like it.

But now I'm thinking of some kind of Dogwood, Cornus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here