Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Please I.D. plant

Konrad___far_north
10 years ago

About 2 or 3 years ago I picked up some small fruits or berries from our local show, all I remember, supposed to be a shrub, berries are red about 2 x goji size, with a fairly large seed,..but then I could be wrong.

Comments (23)

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

goumi?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Melikee!
    Berries do look a bit as I remember,..surely wish it would be these, ..it would be kind of tough to grow zone 4 plants in my zone 3, but you never know in a sheltered spot in the city. Have some transplanted after growing 2 seasons and none seemed to have succumbed.
    Have mailed the picture to some top guy's from the show but none can answer it. Might just have to wait for fruits.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Image does not remind me of goumi leaves. Goumi will proceed to have tiny, trumpet-like blooms. Plant will have thorns by second or third year. Fruit, bark, and leaves all have a fine pale speckled appearance.

Perhaps your seedling is to young to exhibit those characteristics.

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

I have no idea, except that it is definitely not goumi, or anything else related, which all have silvery scales as larry gene says.

• c5tiger
    10 years ago

Looks a little like a pokeberry. Don't know how cold hardy they are.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Yes, looks like nasty 'pokeweed'

• Noogy
    10 years ago

That's exactly what I think also. Pokeweed. I have them emerging from roots. overwintering.The chinese eat freshies as they come up. The berry is toxic.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!
    I remember the berries were red,..but then I could be wrong.
    I'll post a picture at the end of this growing season.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A quick read..
    all parts of Pokeweed is poisonous.

So, no Pokeweed, I don't think anybody would take this to a fruitshow.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

People around here used to eat the foliage if it's pokeberry, but it has to do with timing and color, etc. So poke could be sold as an edible. Some folks are looking for it to buy as a medicinal as well. It was called 'poke salad' around here by the oldtimers.

I have tons as weeds near my woods edge. The birds like the berries :) They are dark purple and pretty distinctive when ripe, so you'll know if it is poke, I think. They have a big root like a root vegetable, too.

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

That's funny... I was going to suggest it was some kind of "weed" too, only I was scared everybody would think I'm nuts. Is it possible that what you photographed is not what the person thought they were selling you?

Anyway, to me it looks a bit like bindweed. Yikes!

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Elderberry? Konrad I was once the chairman of the Boston Flower Show and you wouldn't believe what people brought in! Mrs. G

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Other pots in the image appear empty. How many seeds were planted and what was the sprouting success rate? Could the potting soil have been contaminated with other seed?

--------------------
    Poke sallet is a cooked dish; the term "poke salad" is often used instead and does not necessarily imply eating the greens fresh.

This post was edited by larry_gene on Sun, May 26, 13 at 23:05

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!
    All pots have a transplant, ...just took a picture from the largest one.

Here a picture before the transplant.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After transplant...

• c5tiger
    10 years ago

I don't think thats a pokeweed, too woody on the stem. Poke will be dark red and soft on the stem and die after fruiting. The first picture looked like poke but in this last one it does not.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>>Elderberry? I know the red elderberry, some people grow them here, [not me] berries are edible, seeds are poisonous. The black, much better fruit, doesn't really grow well here, it freezes back...been trying.

I don't think the leaves resembles of elderberry.

• c5tiger
    10 years ago

I don't think its an elderberry.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

My very first instinct was that it was chokecherry, but they have much smaller berries. It reminds me of a seedling prunus of some sort. If you acquired seed at the show do you have any more to take a picture of?

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Is that a speckled stem, or is that water-splashed or -borne grime?

Speckling is one characteristic of Elaeagnus species.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, no more seeds.
    Yes, speckled stem.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Konrad - At first glance it looks like my apple seedlings - without the serated edge...

Then I thought Cotoneaster, but the berries are poison...

Then, I though coronus mas, which looks VERY similar... Very hardy, very edible fruits

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!
    canadianplant,..
    Wish it would be coronus mas, zone 4/5... ..it sure looks like it.

But now I'm thinking of some kind of Dogwood, Cornus

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm