Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evan's cherry dying

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 0:05

At least one of the main branches of my evan's cherry is dead. I expect the rest of the tree will follow soon. Is it unusual to go from good production to dead?

It's a good thing I couldn't give away the trees that are coming up from suckers. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evan's cherry dying

It's very common,...let the new suckers replace the old tree.
I find some of the trees just die without ever heaving suckers.
It doesn't mean when one branch dies that the whole trees goes, some die and some new branches will form. My trees didn't sucker the first 8 or 10 years, they're around 15 now.

o

Konrad:

That will work in Canada as I heard Evans is grown from
softwood cuttings and produces root suckers that are thus
true to variety.

Here in the U.S. for any readers of this post, I am told that many nursery propagators are budding Evans onto some sort of rootstock. Not so in Canada as the own root Evans
are a zone 3 plant but the budded Evans are zone 4 at most.

A friend of mine has a cherry here in the U.S. that is similar to Evans in the fact that it bears heavy crops even when 3' tall, produces root suckers that make it easy
to propagate and is from zone 4. Bailey Nursery in Minnesota worked out propagation rights and will have it out bare-root and container in the near future. This cherry is called 'Eubank' after the Eubank family who discovered it in their family orchard near River Falls, WI.

I mention it as the only 2 tart cherries I know of that
root sucker true to form are these two varieties. I do not
know if Bailey Nursery is going to bud them on some rootstock or produce them from softwood cuttings.

o

MY Evans Bali is from Burnt Ridge and I can assure you it suckers...i just found a 20 inch sucker about 4 ft away in the lawn...along with many others close to the trunk.

I wonder why they just drop over dead? Disease? I cut down one of mine because it was in a horrible spot, but the other one looks perfect. I've also noticed it doesn't seem a magnet for insects or disease....so Its been a good tree (never been sprayed).

o

Some are on their own roots in the U.S. as far as I know, the local nursery, [DNA Gardens] the only one who propagated them by tissue culture, [years ago] sold some to the U.S. My guess,.. because it came to such a hot item that they couldn't produce enough for the demand, so then nurseries started to just graft these.

>>I wonder why they just drop over dead?<<

My guess is age, at around 15 years of age some die at my site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here