Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Southern high bush “Sharpblue” Blueberry not growing.

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 0:08

My Southern high bush “Sharpblue” Blueberry not growing.

I bought this bush from a big box store about a year ago. At that time, it was about ¾ foot tall, it had beautiful foliage, and it even produced about 4 blueberries. Then this winter when it went into dormancy my dog snapped about 90% of the plant. Spring came and it started to produce two shoots they grew well, but then it stopped growing.

I water it every two to three days; when I planted it I used organic matter; and it gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Southern high bush “Sharpblue” Blueberry not growing.

One of my Sharpblues died over winter from being too wet. The other 2 made it and I let them dry out considerably before watering this spring. Get a moisture meter for 10 bucks and just make sure it's not staying too wet. I'm a newbie at this but so far i've learned the hard way that it is easy for blues to get too wet especially with the peat and compost in my mix that retains water.
Hopefully somone more experienced will chime in.

o

That plant looks sick to me. Do you know the Ph of your soil? What kind of organic material did you use? Ph of your water? They are very easy to grow with the right water and soil Ph. Almost every problem associated with Blues is one or the other.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 9:23

That looks to be growing in ground. If so, that won't work in the high desert of CA because the soil pH is too high. You need to pot it up next winter. In the mean time study about pH and growing blueberries in pots. There are past posts here by the hundreds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here