Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve333_z5a_co_mtns

Fertilizing Apples/pears in northern climates

steve333_gw
10 years ago

Well I did a bit of an experiment, putting roughly 50% more fertilizer on some trees which did not exhibit much growth last year. The results have been good, in that trees which only put on 4-6" of new growth last year already have exceeded that this year.

So that tells me that I may need to up my spring fertilizer amounts in future years, but I am wondering if it is too late to put down some additional fertilizer now. While this may seem like a silly question to those in warmer zones, we are approaching the beginning of July which is typically the magic end of fertilizer date in short season areas. And I have seen late fertilizing cause trees to go dormant too late, which is the big risk.

I'd be interested in getting other northern growers opinions. Is it worth taking a chance, at least on the lagging trees now, with salt based fertilizers (not the organic ones now, which decompose slowly and last too long for this purpose)? Any particular types of fertilizers which don't cause late dormancy that people are aware of?

Comments (3)