Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

blackberry work for naught..!

vieja_gw
11 years ago

I attached all the long individual canes of the blackberries (Triple Crown thornless) neatly up on wires last Fall so I didn't have to get all over the ground like last year picking those huge berries! Well, it seems I attached last year's bearing canes on the wire so no fruit from them this year? Now, the new growth from the ground is growing all over & full of blossoms. Is it then best to just cut the old bearing canes to the ground in the Fall every year & only let the new growth the next spring come up & bear? I never could remember what canes to cut when I grew raspberries either!!

Comments (8)

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

When pick last berry off cane cut that cane to ground. The same year you cut that cane new canes grow and fruit next year. First year cane called primocanes after the primocane passes January 1st the name of canes change to Flouricanes witch means they flower and fruit that year then die on some look sickly if left on crown of thorn-less types.

Any year blackberry plant has primocanes and florocanes canes.

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

In my garden you can easily tell the difference in the dead of winter - last seasons floricanes are dead and dried up whereas next seasons floricanes still have color and look healthy. My cane crop area is relatively new and we have been having long dry periods so I am not doing much pruning when plants are leafed out (without good rains I don't think the plant will be able to grow new canes).

I also tie canes up to wires to keep them up off the ground and under control. At this point of the year I am harvesting fruit from last years canes (which are tied) while next years canes are flopping all over the place. When I prune out the spent canes I will bend and tie the new canes. That may happen this fall or in the winter after the leaves fall off.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

"Well, it seems I attached last year's bearing canes on the wire so no fruit from them this year?"--attaching those is fine, end the confusion and just cut the bearing canes down soon after harvest.

"Now, the new growth from the ground is growing all over & full of blossoms."--not sure what to make of this. Last year's non-bearing canes are the ones that are blooming now. They should have been attached right after the bearing canes were cut out. New growth from the ground is this year's newest canes to be attached after this year's harvest and removal of fruited canes.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

larry_gene that happens pop up and bear fruit in top I mow off once see going to fruit. Arkansas Breeder used that to developed prime Jim and Jane how I don't know. I had large planting Chickasaw 6,000 plants I graced on berry from may till Oct. while working in orchard.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try & find this year's bearing canes when they are finished producing & then cut them... guess they look 'older'! Seems the canes bear so long during the summer then are mixed with the new growth this year so will have to determine the bearing canes when they are finished bearing & cut those. One of these days I will get this pruning straight .... ! If I ever grow raspberries again I will get the variety that can all be mowed down in the Fall or after bearing. Lots of raspberries grown in New Mexico .. esp. in the northern areas (Salmon Raspberry Ranch for one!); I love that delicate flavor! The Triple Crown thornless blackberries are so huge & sweet ... once I read to pick them when the glossy black color turns a bit dull!

Thanks everyone for your much appreciated help!

• abz5b
    11 years ago

If you are confused on the Primocane vs Floricane there is a very useful video on Gurneys.com that will show you so you can see what the previous people have posted in action.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

There is no guesswork. This year's bearing canes are the ones with the fruiting spurs all over them. Just trace those canes back to the main stem and cut near the ground. If there is an overlapping confusion of canes after that, just wait for the leaves on the cut canes to wilt--that will point out all the laterals to prune out.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gosh, thanks everyone who has patiently been trying to teach me... I am printing these suggstions so this Fall I can go over it all again when I go to prune out THIS year's fruiting canes (& LAST year's old ones too!) from the new fresh green canes that have been coming up. I love these huge blackberries & want to do the best by them but I sure can see how starting from just one cutting could soon over run the whole yard (thank goodness this variety is thornless!). I have started cuttings for several friends & family members now too.